History

The Main Events from the History of Our School

I. 1945-1955

The School Complex No. 3 derives from the Mining Vocational School of the ‘Makoszowy’ Coal Mine (founded in 1945) when the first mining schools attached to the mining plants were organized in the area of the Upper Silesian Industrial Region. On 5th December, 1945 following the decision of the Ministry of Mining Industry, the vocational school was set up in the buildings on Hagera Street. The aim of that school was the tuition of mining following the needs of ‘Concordia’, ‘Ludwik’, ‘Mikulczyce’ and ‘Jadwiga’ coal mines.
 
II. 1955-1965
In 1958 the school was moved into its own building on 3rd May Street 118 where it is located up the present. The school was then committed to the ‘Makoszowy’ Coal Mine’s care. The mining plant was responsible for covering the school expenses including the educational equipment . The workshops and vocational laboratories were organized as well. In the years 1963-1964 the school acquired the electrical engineering lab and the sports field.

III. 1965-1975
The major development of the school facilities took place in late 1960s and 1970s. In 1970 the following facilities were put into use:
  1. the modern electrical engineering and electronics lab,
  2. the modern civic education lab equipped with the audiovisual devices (first in the province),
  3. the electric machines, electronics and mining automatic control engineering lab.
In 1973 the second floor of school, having new classrooms and study rooms, was put into use as well as the construction and modernization of the boarding school on Hagera Street. In 1974 the photographical lab and the modern recording studio were organized in the school basement.
The major role in the school facilities development was played by the former school headmaster      Mr Mariusz Gębski, MSc and many teachers, instructors and students as well. The majority of work was performed during the vocational practices. The most modern educational trends and equipment connected with the high level of teaching staff brought the school successes for many years providing the place amongst the top vocational schools.
In 1974, approving the school educational and upbringing achievements, in the Vocational Mining School of the ‘Makoszowy’ Coal Mine the multidepartment meeting concerning vocational education was held with the presence of the Minister of Education and Behavior Jerzy Kuberski.
In the same year the school was decorated with the Gold Medal of Katowice Voivodship Development Merit (Zasłużony w Rozwoju Województwa Katowickiego). This educational institution (as the model one) was visited by many important Polish and foreign guests.
 
IV. 1975-1985
In 1975 the school facilities were enriched by:
  1. the new training mining galleries,
  2. the school workshops in Makoszowy,
  3. the electrical engineering and automatics workshops in the newly adapted school basement enabling the measurements and exercises in the areas of electrical engineering, automatics and mining,
  4. the audiovisual devices lab with the closed circuit television (CCTV).
Moreover, in the same year the boarding school expansion providing the place for 400 students was finished. The comfortable living grounds and other facilities enabled the development of wide cultural, entertainment and sports activities. In 1976 the programmed tuition lab and in 1977 the new sports gym were put into use. In 1981 the new boarding school for 200 students on Knurowska Street came to life. In October 1983 the well-equipped School CCTV Studio and the School Chamber of Remembrance, Tradition and Exhibition were opened by the Minister of Mining Industry and Power Engineering General Czesław Piotrowski.
 
V. 1985-1995
The economical crisis in the mid-80s affected the mining industry and led to the important changes  in the school life. The substantial lack of the school equipment could be observed in the school rooms and labs as well. Although the new training drift in the workshops on Lubuska Street was opened, the necessity of changing the workshop profile could be observed. The decreasing number of the students coming from another regions led to the reduction of the boarding school size. In 1986 the boarding school was moved to the school closest neighbourhood – to the Makoszowy Coal Mine’s House of Miner on 3rd Maja Street. In 1991 it was finally closed. The political and economical transformation started in 1989 led to the school transformation. The teachers led by their head – engineer Andrzej Gąska quickly adapted the school shape to the new situation and, having the support of educational authorities, started creating the new vocational school granting its students the law to take the maturity exam.
 
In 1991 – except of the decreasing number of vocational mining classes – started the new Specialized Secondary School (Liceum), having two profiles:
  • electronic devices fitter,
  • industrial automatics and precise devices mechanician.
In April 1993 took place the official change of authorities – the Vocational Mining School of ‘Makoszowy’ Coal Mine started being under administration of the Commission of Education and Upbringing (Kuratorium Oświaty i Wychowania). That fact led to the changing of the school name into the Vocational School No. 3 and the Specialized Liceum No. 1.
From September 1993 the following class profiles were present:
  • fitter-welder,
  • wireman,
  • green belt gardener.
The change of authorities and school profile led to the closing of the school workshops on Lubuska Street. The majority of them took their new place in the reorganized school basement. In February 1994 the new type of school was opened: Post-Liceum Vocational Study (Policealne Studium Zawodowe) in the profile of an IT technician. On 23rd May, 1994 the City Council of Zabrze issued the resolution of setting up the Vocational School Complex No. 3 under the patronage of the local commune. The new school consisted of  the Post-Liceum Vocational Study, the Vocational School and the Specialized Liceum and was localized in the building on 3rd May Street, 118.

VI. 1995-2005
The mid-90s opened the new chapter in the school history. In January 1995 the school was included into the group of schools taking part in the pilotage program; as a result it became the internal financing unit from 1st January, 1996. In May 1995 the first maturity exams took place. On 24th May 1996 the school was celebrating the event of being named after Rotamaster Witold Pilecki and granted the law of possessing the standard. Despite many financial problems the new practical classes labs were organized in the adapted rooms in the school building. The existing computer lab was modernized and the new one was created with the newest PC-class computers and peripherals. The modern electronic engineering lab was also set up.
 
In the 1996/1997 school year the new Vocational Technical High School of Telecommunications emerged, having the profiles of:
  • telecommutation,
  • information and communications technology (ICT).
In 2000 the interdisciplinary lab for the tuition of electronic engineering and telecommunications was opened. It was equipped with the modern training simulators. In May 2001 the first defences of theses took place in the profile of telecommunications technician.
From 1st September, 2001 the Gymnasium (Junior High School) No. 15 (having 1100 pupils in 33 classes) was included into the School Complex No. 3.
On 1st September 2002, according to the new rules introducing the school system reform, the five-year Vocational Technical High School of Telecommunications was transformed into the four-year one, having the profiles of telecommunications technician and electronic technician and the four-year Specialized Liceum, having the profiles of electrical engineering, electronics and mechatronics, into the three-year one.
On 1st September, 2003 the new Secondary (Senior) High School was set – the 11th General Liceum and the school name was finally changed into the Witold Pilecki School Complex No. 3.
And so it is…
Translated by Grzegorz Sobczyk